Thursday, October 27, 2005

Life in the Country

I just want to take the time to thank you guys for your prayers. I am so thankful to report that Chance has not had a problem sleeping anymore. As a matter of fact, he has slept better lately than he has since he was born. It sure is a lesson to me that I need to be more diligent in the spiritual matters of my children's life.

The lastest thing in our country living is Mt. Lion's & wolves. Apparently both are out hunting in force. Night before last I woke up at 1:30am to the sounds of wolves howling back behind our house. A couple of weeks ago, I woke up to the most chilling sound I have heard in a long time. It was kind of like a scream, but not human. It went on for a few minutes and then stopped abruptly. David was in Pittsburgh and mom was in New York so there was nobody to hear what I heard. I asked my brother-in-law then next day, but he hadn't heard anything. Later on my counsin Thad's wife came up to visit and I just happened to mention it to her. They live back further in the woods behind us. She said that she had been woke up by the same thing. She woke Thad up and he went running outside on the front porch. She said the screaming sounded like it was right under their bedroom window. It stopped as soon as he went outside. She said he went and checked his two dogs in the kennel and they were both inside their dog house barking but they wouldn't come out.

Thad called last night to see if I had heard the wolves the night before and then he happened to mention that he and two other friends had been out in the woods on the trail that I usually run on and a Mt. Lion had run across the trail in front of them. I knew immediately that is what I had heard that night because we had them come thru our yard in Grand Rapids and they would scream occasionally. It is the most horrible sound. We talked to the DNR and he said it is illegal to shoot them, but the good thing is they hunt out an area and move on pretty quickly. Our neighbor has been butchering cattle for the past week and dumping the remains out in the woods, I think that is probably what is drawing all the critters.

I never realized that we had Mt. Lions in this area, but when I worked at the Radio station people along Hwy 73 would call in once and a while and say they had seen one. My brother-in-law said he saw one for the first time 40 years ago and had seen their tracks every once in a while. We can call them the bigfoot of Minnesota, something very rairly seen, but nevertheless there!

3 Comments:

At 5:44 AM, Blogger dangeresque dan said...

I like cougars/mountain Lions/Pumas whatever you call them. . . I also like wolves. I am a wolf. . . Well at least in a wolfpack.

 
At 9:00 AM, Blogger JC said...

OH my goodness- I'm kinda glad I'm in the city after reading that.

 
At 7:02 PM, Blogger Beckie said...

i am so happy Chance is sleeping through the night! Thats great news!God is faithful

 

Post a Comment

<< Home