Saturday, November 12, 2005

We did it!!!

I can't believe it, it is done!!!

This morning we got up at 5:00am to get ready to go to Duluth. We reserved the U-haul truck for 8:00am and so we planned on leaving the house by 6:30am. But, like any household with kids, we were about 15 minutes late. Then, we drove down Hwy 16 to about 5 miles from Hwy 53 and realized that we didn't have the keys to the storage unit gate! There is a story there...

Two years ago when we were moving all of our stuff into the storage unit, David talked to the owners and made arrangements for our moving in. They said that the office was not open on Saturdays, but that the gate would be open. So, Saturday morning David, my mother, my cousin Thad, his wife Wendy and I headed for Duluth with our van and the U-haul Truck. We got to the storage unit and pulled up in front of the gate which was locked with a chain and paddlock. Of course we were all upset because they told us it was going to be open and we had people coming to help and a truck full of stuff. So Thad and David, being the industrious guys that they are, decided that we should go nextstore to Menards and buy a saw and another lock and cut thru the chain. So, that is what we did. After opening the gate we went in and drove around but we couldn't find storage unit #917. We were confused for a second until we realized that those numbers were nextstore in the storage units with the open gate! So we drove out and shut the gate and then refastened the chain with the new lock. That way they could still get in the gate by opening up their lock! Boy did we feel stupid but we sure had a good laugh, needless to say, we never confessed to them that we did that.

Anyway, today we decided that we should just go back and get the key in case the gate was closed.

Despite the fact that there is a U-haul Truck place a block from where our storage shed was, we had to drive to Superior to get our truck. Apparently only the people from Wisconsin can get their trucks in Hermantown! We got to the storage unit at 9:30am and after a short two hours had everything loaded!! After a quick dinner at McDonalds, we headed home. At home it only took one hour to unload the whole truck. I want to take a second to thank a whole bunch of people who made something I was so looking forward to yet seriously dreading (if that makes sense) turn into hardly any work at all.

Thank you to my sister Diane and nephew Aaron who showed up in Duluth to help on that end.
Thank you to my sister Sharon, nephew Wade, friend Scotty, cousin Wendy & her son Riely, our Rustproof friend Kranny and my really good friend Craig and Kirsty & Bre for making this end of the work go by so fast.

Thank you to my mother who at 81 is more willing to help than any person half her age and never ceases to amaze me.

Thank you to my sister Sandy who yet again comes to my aid showing up at our house at 6:30am to watch my children so that I can do what I need to do and not worry about them!!

You guys have no idea what your showing up and helping means to us! We are certainly blessed!!! I guess I am home now!

1 Comments:

At 7:02 PM, Blogger Beckie said...

that sounds like a fun day! i'm glad you got all your stuff back

 

Post a Comment

<< Home